We're spicing up spring- beginning with your repertoire of vegetables. Bring your appetite (and picky eaters) to the market where you'll get introduced to bok choy, parsnips and radishes, all in season right now and in single serving giveaway bags, compliments of the West End Farmer's Market. Never cooked with these? No problem, we'll also be handing out recipes so you can begin your delicious relationship as early as lunch!
Also come to help with a very important project which requires two simple things: goodwill and a shoebox. For the most vulnerable members of our community, a simple shoebox filled with personal care or emergency preparedness items can make a big difference. That's why we're teaming up with the United Way of the National Capital Area in their 2012 Shoebox Project. All you have to do is fill a decorated shoebox with items like toothbrushes, socks, and soap and bring them to our Sunday farmer’s market! These will then be given to nonprofits serving veterans, the elderly, and the homeless around the greater D.C. area. We will also have empty, undecorated shoeboxes to pick up. Just be sure to stop sure to swing by the United Way table!
For those of you that participate don’t forget to submit a picture of your Decorated Shoebox to win Great Prizes! To enter:
- "Like" us on United Way of the National Capital Area on Facebook and submit your photo here, or
- Tweet your photo to @UWNCA using the hashtag #shoebox.
- Email photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
Prizes will be awarded to the top three best decorated shoeboxes!
- First place will win a one-night stay and breakfast at the Renaissance Hotel in Dupont Circle and two tickets to the Woolly Mammoth Theater
- Second place will win a one-night stay at the Lorien Hotel & Spa in Old Town Alexandria
- Third place will win a NOOK Simple Touch
This is only the beginning of what is promising to be a fantastic season. Hopefully everyone is as excited as we are to begin the new market year. We hope to see you all on Opening Day and beyond!